Gas to Energy
Gas to Energy is the final stage in the EnviroSolutions service progression, which is where we capture landfill gas to generate electricity and contribute to the energy needs of surrounding communities. Landfill gas is a valuable source of renewable energy.
Recognising the environmental benefits and economic value inherent in landfill gas, EnviroWaste was the first landfill operator in New Zealand to harness the gas from its landfills for the generation of electricity.
EnviroWaste operates two Landfill Gas to Energy Plants (LFGTE) in Auckland, at Rosedale and Greenmount. These two sites combined produce more than nine megawatts of electricity, enough to supply around 9000 households.
A third Landfill Gas to Energy Plant is currently under construction at our Hampton Downs landfill in Waikato. The plant will generate 2MW of electricity 24/7 and supply all of the landfill site's needs, as well as supply surplus energy into the national grid.
In addition to gas utilisation, EnviroWaste specialises in providing reticulation structures to control gas migration, as well as in the flaring and venting of landfill gas where gas utilisation is inappropriate.
EnviroWaste has considerable in-house expertise and resources in landfill gas management. Our capabilities in this area have been developed over many years of management of various landfill operations throughout New Zealand.
Our services include:
- Landfill gas flare design, quality assurance monitoring and sampling.
- Design and installation of gas monitoring wells.
- Landfill gas to energy systems.
- Landfill gas emission surveys for compliance and post closure monitoring.
- General gas emission safety checks.
- Measurement of gas levels in buildings and basement areas.
- Soil gas probe installation.
- Soil gas sampling and monitoring.